Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

An Incarcerating Moment

We are in the middle of Cashier Appreciation Month at the store and, as a result, Department Managers are voluntarily going front and giving cashiers fifteen minute breaks as a way of saying 'thank you.'  Yesterday I did two stints at the Pro-Registers since I tend to get along well with contractors.  On my last stint I had a customer come with $168 of merchandise.  When it came time to pay he told me it would be with a credit card and pulled a small sheet of paper from his pocket with a number written on it.  This may seem unusual but a lot of contractors will send in their workers with just the number if they need product in a hurry.  Unfortunately for this customer, after he had keyed in the number, he got an error message.  I explained to him that things were rapidly changing with the way we handle credit cards because of the data breach.  His response was "really?  I've been incarcerated for a while.  I didn't know anything about that."  To which I said "Really?"

As it turned the sale was legitimate, the credit card was good and he had been honest about his incarceration.  I didn't ask him why he had been behind bars for "a while" since it really wasn't any of my business.  I did think that under the circumstances his boss should have actually given him the card rather then writing the number down on a piece of paper.  It was an interesting end to my day, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment