The truth is this bill is not about religious freedom, it's about discriminating against gays, a minority group which is making great strides in getting equal civil rights. They have always been a problem for the GOP and Arizona is a Republican state. Marriage Equality bills as passing, slowly but surely, in state after state, and law suits are being filed as though paper were going to disappear off the face of the earth. The Republicans in Arizona are merely trying to give some sort of protection to their base. In doing so, however, they are legitimizing hate.
Right now this piece of legislation is sitting on Jan Brewer's desk, waiting for her perusal. If the GOP is smart they'll send a little birdy to whisper in her ear "don't sign it, don't sign it." You see, the Republicans want to win a presidential election and in order to do that they need to come across as more moderate, more friendly to all races, creeds and orientations. Did the 2010 law in Arizona hurt them? I'd say most assuredly with the Latino vote. Why would you vote for a party that hates you? Thanks to the science of genetics it's estimated that 10% of all humans are either gay or lesbian. That's a big voting block. If they had the other 90% the Republicans wouldn't have to worry about it, but they don't. They barely have 40%. Woah! And every time a state sends a message of hate that percentage drops. Someone should tell this to the Republicans of Arizona who are sitting so smugly in their state of hate.