Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Password Hell

Back when I was a boy I used to watch a TV game show called Password on which contestants would try and guess the secret "password."  For example, the password might be Orange and single word clues would be given, such as "citrus," and "fruit," and "color" to help the contestant guess the password.  Today we all have passwords... some of us have many, many, passwords.  Thanks to hackers Internet security has intensified.  The protocols have changed.  There was a time when you could get by with just a word and a number for a password, and everybody used the same password for every account.  This is no longer the case, and I hate it.  The convenience of paying all of my bills online has a price.


Today's passwords need both upper and lower case letters, numbers, and a symbol; gone are the days of simply using a loved one's name.  And thinking of new passwords is... hell, which is why most people use passwords that fail.  No one wants to put in the effort for proper password creation.  I don't.  I look around the room until my eyes light on something totally illogical.  If I focus on a wall sconce, part of my password might be "sconce," or "wall."  Remembering these passwords is an even bigger hell then simply creating them, so I keep a written hard copy.  Google remembers them, too, which is a help.  Still, passwords are a true pain in the ass.  Like I don't understand why utilities require such security.  If there is someone out there who wants to hack in and pay my electric bill they're quite welcome to do so.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment