Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Bob Woodward's temper tantrum.

There seems to be quite a bit of finger pointing going on right now between Bob Woodward and the White House.  Just what it's about, I don't really know.  Personally, I suspect it's just Woodward throwing a petulant, little fit.  Why do I say this?  The more I read about him the more I understand how there is something in his ego which shrieks "I need to be an icon... no, I need to be something more!"  Just like pop musicians who know the need of having a good hook to sell a song, he knows he needs to have a good line to hook an audience.  Unfortunately for him, however, ever since the Bush administration his writing seems to be more "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours."  I became aware of this way back when in one of his books about Bush he quoted the president as saying "I go to my higher father for advice," or something like that.  I remember the first time I read that all I could say was Holy Shit.  I was so surprised Bob Woodward was pandering to the Republican base.  For quite some time after that, it seemed as if you couldn't turn on the television without seeing Woodward's smiling face.  I'm sure he sold quite a few books to social conservatives who, up until that point, never gave him a second thought.  It was at that moment I realized he was less concerned about journalism then he was with ego.

Not really invited to the party

While he has published "Obama's Wars," it wouldn't surprise me if this administration is not as Woodward friendly as he wants it to be.  Of course, Bush was only popular among his base where as Obama has an obvious consensus among a majority of the voters.  Bush needed Woodward, Obama doesn't.  There's a party going on in the White House and Bob wasn't invited as the guest of honor, more like the busboy.  Now there is this little, pissy shit war going on between Woodward and and the White House. Dig deep enough and I suspect you'll find the root cause is the small bones the administration has been throwing to him.  One hundred years from now Bob Woodward does not want to be one more forgotten journalist, just a foot note in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment