Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Cycles of Painting

Well, it's Saturday... a little after 0700 in the morning, the temp is around 70 F with a dew point around 66 - it's going to be a warm, humid day in the store.  Spotty thunderstorms are forecast, sporadic and spread out - this means we'll get a warning and the storm will miss us by about 5 miles.  Tonight I get to close the store and I'm scheduled back at work 10.5 hours later, because we have a paint sale (rebate) going on, you know?  My sales figures are okay, they're not great.  Three years ago there was the equivalent of a feeding frenzy in paint - I beat my yearly goal by over half a million dollars.  Corporate thought paint sales would continue to trend upwards for years to come.... they didn't.  People don't paint every year.  Sure, it's the easiest way to refresh a room, but paint is also laborious.  You need to move furniture, and cover furniture, and tape off, and cut in - painting a room is not a 2 or 3 hour project, and not everybody wants to do it every 3 or 4 years.  While there are those who feel the need to change the color pallet of their rooms on a regular basis, many, many more don't know this urge.  They will chose a color and stick with it for a long, long time.  I know this because people will come with paint cans 10 - 15 years old and say "I need this color to touch up."

An interesting pattern in a can I tinted last evening

I'm in the latter group.  I'm thinking of repainting my bedroom.  I needed to put in a new ceiling fan because Big Seig chewed up the remote for the old one (he thinks anything made of plastic is a chew toy).  And the last time I painted the bedroom was... about 15 years ago.  So, I'm thinking of freshening things up.  Of course, this means a lot of work (sigh), but on the bright side, I probably won't feel the need to repaint for another 15 years.

2 comments:

  1. In the monastery in Brookline, MA when I was there, we had an old brother who had been a house painter before he entered. He worked on the grounds during spring/summer/fall and worked in the house in the winter, mostly painting. It was a huge place and he was gradually painting everything the same light institutional yellow. When anyone complained, he always explained that he had some paint left over and wanted to use it up. Since it was never enough to complete the next job, he went out and bought more, thus renewing the cycle for the following year.

    ReplyDelete