Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Death of an iMac

That's right, my iMac is dying.  One of the pissers about this is that it's only 3 years and 10 months old.  That's rather a short life for a computer.  I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with an Apple tech and the conversation pretty much came to an end when he said "you have a serious hardware issue."
The first indicator that there was a problem was when a postage stamp sized page of script attached itself to the tip of the mouse pointer.  I could move the pointer but couldn't click on anything.  So, I called Apple Support.  Kevin was very helpful, however turning the computer on and off using several different combinations of keys failed to change anything.  I managed to access the Apple servers, but only after connecting the computer directly to the modem.  And... I got into Utilities... and the Maverick OS seemed to have disappeared.  That's when he told me a serious crash was taking place.  There was nothing on it that was irreplaceable, so I loaded the Yosemite.  And I still  had the little postage stamp of script hanging from the tip of the mouse pointer.  I thanked Kevin for his help and ended the phone call.  And it turned off the iMac and went downstairs to look for a new upstairs computer (I have a gaming laptop downstairs).  Before I went to bed I turned the iMac back on and, to my surprise, it worked.
This morning I woke up, turned on the iMac and started to reload my bookmarks and got this:


As you can see there are 5 stripes running down the screen, and in the upper left hand corner the mouse pointer with a postage stamp size page of script attached.  And, of course, nothing works.  Well, that's not exactly true.  If you turn it off for about 4 hours it works for a while.  The fan is working, so it's not that.  What ever is going on  is happening in the Hard Drive and it's not a good thing..  I did ask the Tech if he thought I'd been hacked and he said "no, your Hard Drive is going bad."
This was an expensive iMac, and as I said, it's not even 4 years old.  I expected more from Apple.  Were I an Applehead I suppose I would be grief stricken, as it is, I'm chalking it up to an expensive lesson learned.  I guess one bad Apple can ruin the bunch.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your imac....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it goes. There's a Cyberpower Zeus Mini on it's way to replace it.

      Delete