Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Monday, December 15, 2014

The Louvre - and how to visit

I saw in the NYT this AM that the director of the Louvre is being revamped to make it more tourist friendly.  Several years ago, when I wandered through the museum, I didn't really have much of a problem.  But then I will have to admit I'm not your average tourist.  Seeing the Mona Lisa was not my soul purpose for being there.  That painting is, unfortunately, one of the main reasons attendance is so high.  Everybody wants to see the Mona Lisa.  I saw it and took a couple of pictures.  Surprisingly, there was a small crowd, but it wasn't at all bad.  Of course, as I'd said earlier, I'm not your average tourist.  I went to Paris to celebrate my birthday, which is November 8, not a peak tourist time.


Above is one of the pictures I took of the Mona Lisa... and there were not a lot of people in the room.


Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of people there, but there were no long lines.  I bought my ticket and walked in.  My plan was just to wander around the museum.  That's what I did.  Here are my hints for a hassle free visit to the Louvre.  Go in an off season.  Visit on a week day rather then a weekend.  Be there in the morning when it opens, the earlier the better.  Have a good map, I bought a detailed book - it was well worth the money.  And, most important, plan on spending the entire day there.  I did.  If the only reason you go is to see one painting, you're going for the wrong reason and you're most likely going to end up being disappointed.




2 comments:

  1. the last time I visited the louvre was to take my mom, my sister, and my nieces. we went there early and went for the mona lisa first since i know how bad it can get from noon to closing. after that, we spend the whole day getting lost...

    ReplyDelete