Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Showering

When I bought my house 20 years ago the bathroom upstairs was a tiny room, 5 feet by 6 feet.  There was a tub / shower combo, a toilet, a small sink, and nothing else.  Ten years ago I remodeled, taking out a back bedroom in the process.  The end result being a 10 foot by 12 foot bathroom and a walk-in closet.  One of the things I did during the re-do was to install a corner shower with a seat.  How fortuitous.  Why?  I figured I'd need something to sit on as I got older.  If you had told me back then I'd be using it today I would have laughed.  I'd have said, "I'm not going to be old enough in 10 years."  Of course, back then I had no inkling I'd be dealing with lumbar arthritis.


Anyway, the seat has become quite the handy accessory.  I don't have to worry about falling when I'm sitting.  I can scrub myself from head to foot without toppling over.  The seat also makes the shower extremely easy to clean.  I suspect it will also come in quite handy after my surgery.  Back when I had the shower installed people looked at me with more then a little surprise.  The idea that you might have to sit down to shower had never occurred to them, most likely because no one wants to think about themselves getting older.  We all are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment