Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Verizon's act of desperation

Beginning Sunday, 4/19, Verizon (FIOS) is going to start offering what's being called 'skinny bundles.'  This is their attempt to stave off Cable Cutters and try to maintain some degree of market share.  Some are calling it a bold move.  To me, it's an act of desperation. I don't need a package offering 149 channels when I only watch 3 or 4.  I get all of my news (local and national) on the Internet because updates are current.  Why would I want to wait until the evening news broadcast on cable to find something out?  In fact, with my job, I'm rarely home at that time.
One of the articles I've read suggested it might too little, too late, and I suspect that is true.  The business model both Verizon and Comcast have been relying on is geared towards an aging population.  I, myself, signed up for Amazon Prime.  Because I have an X-Box 360 I can watch it on my really big screen TV.  I can also sign up for Netflix, and Hulu should I want.  So why do I need FIOS TV?


I don't.  Everything is changing.  Of course not everybody is going to change with the times.  My 82 year old mother loves to channel surf.  She rarely watches a show in its entirety.  She is not alone.  There are a lot of people out there who are just like her, they need the super smorgasbord of 189 channels.  To them the idea of only watching a few shows is totally alien.  Under the new Verizon 'skinny bundles' these people can have their addictions satiated, for a fee.  
Will Verizon's act of desperation work?  I suspect not.  Will more networks and cable channels go the subscription route?  I suspect so.  If FIOS is still around 15 years from now, it's going to be a completely different beast.  That is if it survives.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment