Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Getting beaned

Today was my day off and, of course, it was crappy, rainy, drizzly outside so I couldn't take the dogs to the park.  Also, I had to wait for the water meter reader guy to come and update my water meter so I didn't start any large tasks since I didn't want to be interrupted.  I did manage to go to the supermarket though... yeah, it's been one of those super exciting days.  I try to always be a very smart shopper, so if you've ever seen me shopping for groceries you've seen me with my phone calculator in my hand.  Yepper, I like to get my money's worth.  Today, for example, there was a sign by some pre-packaged green beans "Save 23 cents a pound."  They were in 12 ounce packages, so I took the total cost and divided it by 12 to get the price per ounce and then multiplied it by 16 to get the price per pound - total cost $3.33 per pound.  I then walked 5 feet to where the bin of green beans you could package yourself - cost there was $2.90 per pound.  That's a 43 cent difference.  And it wasn't just the green beans which had this type of skewed pricing.  Tomatoes had similar pricing and mushrooms?  In one area they were $5.00 for 16 ounces and a few feet away they were also selling at 8 ounces for $1.99.  Yo, do the math.


And it isn't just supermarkets trying to dupe the public.  There was a national commercial advertising a brand of paint at $21.98 per gallon and people came in looking for the paint that was on sale.  Hey, it wasn't on sale.  The commercial didn't say it was on sale.  The paint was advertised at its regular cost, but because people saw it on TV they assumed it was on sale.  There are a lot of retailers out there who list the Suggested Retail Price and then their price, and people think there is a sale going on.  It doesn't make a different if it's produce, or paint, or dog food, the only thing that counts is making a buck.  No matter what you want to buy, be smart, shop wisely, unless, of course, you like getting beaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment