Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Monday, September 9, 2024

Chapels on the Hill

 Today, in Pylos, the temp is 71 (F).  They're predicting a high of 84 (F) with the possibility of afternoon showers.  In fact, for the rest of my stay here in Greece, it looks as though the temps are going to be hovering in the comfortable range. 

Today is free for us to do what we want.  My plans are to take some leisurely walks along the shorefront, short ones, and to spend most of the afternoon working on The Body in History.  I know some of you are no doubt thinking that sounds a bit absurd since, after all I am in Greece, and since I'm here I should be hitting every archeolgoical site possible.  But there is this bit inside me that keeps poking me, saying, "you need to write this shit down!"  So, unless something drastically changes things, that's what I'm going to be doing.

Yesterday, we walked through Mystras, one of the largest sites from the Byzantine period, and while it wasn't Byzantium, I'm thinking it was probably close.

There were a number of chapels built between the 11th and 13th centuries AD.  Like most of you out there, I'd never seen an ancient fresco before.  They were amazing.  Mystras is on a hill, a very big hill, though rather than climb to the top, we walked down.




The view was spectacular, though rather than post any spectacular view shots, I thought I dazzle you with a shot, or two, or three of the frescoes.




And, of course, here is one of the chapels.


Finally, the debate is tomorrow night.  One of the things I've read about it that is most pertinent is that Harris is going to be debating a pathological liar.  I'm betting that his team is far more worried about this than her team since they know he's going to be speaking in word salads, and, if he loses his temper, something that is quite likely, might drive the Trump Circus clown car right into a brick wall.







10 comments:

  1. I'm always in awe of the beauty that these people were able to create so many, many years ago and to be able to just touch it fills me with utter joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vast majority of us have only ever seen a fresco in a textbook, to see one, touch one, and realize how they were made is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Those frescos are gorgeous, Dave. I think spending some time writing while you're there is a very good use of your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them are old and slightly faded, however, most of their colors are still quite vivid.

      Delete
  3. Not a religious person at all, but I do love looking inside churches.

    I hope Kamala goes after his bull shiz ... Lecter and kids getting sex reassignment surgeries at school ... and his non-answer about child care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in agreement, it's a shame the images don't come close to matching the evil they inspired.

      I think it's going to be slice and dice night for Donald.

      Delete
  4. Love!
    Just thinking about visiting sites that have been there standing since the 11th century gives me joy.
    And you never know when inspiration is gonna strike...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still light candles and hold services in the lower chapels, the higher ones? I don't think anyone wants to climb that high to get close to Jesus.

      Delete
  5. Stunning pictures! I love that view above!!!!

    I don't know Ill watch the debate since I'm voting for the Harris ticket...but I hope she does some bullet points on exactly how she plans to get her campaign promises pass. I know many who like her, but are still on the fence with her, as she said she wants to do this and that, but hasn't said just what steps she is going to do to make sure these things pass. Those are the people scaring me. I'm like just vote for her. She can't do any worst that what that asshole did for Christ sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't expect bullet points. Tell your friends who are on the fence, they have a choice: Trump and fascism, or Harris and Democracy, if they're waiting for bullet points, they really need to come into the real world, because not voting for Harris is a vote for Trump.

      Delete