Bluntness

I've also been told I have little tact, so if this offends you simply ride on.

Monday, September 2, 2024

Me Touching History

 One thing I can say for certain is that when I get back from Greece, I'm going to be tan.  It's sunny and hot.  I chose this time of year to possibly avoid the heat, and if what our Team Leader Christos tells us, I did.  Bookings during the intense summer months were light.  The Acropolis is known for being an archeological site, the Parethenon, and one of the most famous historical sites in the world; it's known for its cooling shade trees.  When I checked the temperature standing on the Acropolis with sweat trickling down my neck it was 90 (F).  For those who don't know, in situations like this my mind goes to one thing:  hydration.  As a result, when we sat down for a light lunch, I guzzled a liter and a half of water record time.

And I know a lot of you are waiting to see this, so here it is.  This is me touching history.


I took a lot of other pictures, and you'll most likely get to see quite a few of them.

You may find this silly, but one of the questions which has bothered me is why the top of the Acropolis is so uneven.  There are rocks, and boulders sticking up from the earth at the rear end of the temple, however there is flat ground in front of the Neptune's Temple.  Our tour guide Melena pointed to rectangular squares cut into the stone and told us there had once been stone slabs leveling out the plateau and that other statues had stood on these stone slabs.  So, if you ever go to the Acropolis in Athens, now you know!

Here are a few other pictures.






And, of course, the debate is coming up.  From what I can tell, Trump is spewing out so much garbage 
hoping some think will stick.  He must be worried shitless.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent pictures!!!!! Yes, my brother-in-law always said if I went to Greece... go now...but it is still hot, but better than going in the summer still. He hails from Athens. Which is why the trip to Africa is at the beginning of October. I've been told it will still be hot as blazes. Enjoy the trip and block your mind of the DUMP!!!!! You have all that beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days are filled with sunshine! It is amazing. People are so nice.

      Delete
  2. Visiting Efesus (in Turkey but what was once part of Greece) had the most profound effect on me. As you say, just being able to touch the stone was amazing. Have a wonderful time - and make room for the wine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I'm the only one who hasn't had alcohol, mostly because I get so dehydrated I want to guzzle, and guzzling too much wine would not be a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Nice to touch history. Makes it all seem more real.
    The Felon is having meltdown after meltdown ... now he is saying that God says The Felon can straighten out the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire experience is so unique! We have a gent from California on the trip and he simply can't stand Trump and complains about him... frequently.

      Delete
    2. We had Reagan, Deukmejian and Wilson for governors, we know what the GOP’s about.
      Reagan threw our mentally ill into the street, Deukmejian steered contracts to oversea firms and ended up being a corporate attorney for one of them, and Wilson tried to deregulate our electric power grid and rates quadrupled, eventually his idea was scrapped with his ouster.

      Delete
  4. OOhhh
    Love the pics! And yes, hydration is very important. One of my friends went to Sicily four years ago to see his grandma and got sunstroke. The Mediterranean sun is no joke. Wear sunscreen!
    And you know Cheeto is pissed he's not on the news constantly, so he throws shit to the wall to see what happens...

    Have fun! And touch some more of Greece. I'm sure they will not mind...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you’re touching history :)
    Be sure to see the famous Erechtheion with its portico sculptures of korai/maidens. The originals are in the Acropolis museum to protect them.
    And stay hydrated as you are doing, no matter what :)
    -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Temple of Poseidon. I took pictures I'm sure he would be proud of!

      Delete